Thursday, August 5, 2010

The Rockies - Day 8

Our day started with a trip to Global Collisions to get an update about our car. We then drove to Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park, CO. The rocky mountains is the world's longest mountain barrier and it forms the backbone of North America. It stretches from Mexico to Alaska. The park's main road Trail Ridge Road inside the park is the highest continuous highway in the United States. It reaches a maximum elevation of 12,183 ft (3,713 meters). It was a very scenic drive.

I miss my small city already. Coming back from Rocky Mountain National Park was an ordeal. There was traffic every where and the rush hour added more chaos than ever. Two years in Reno has perhaps spoiled us that the site of heavy traffic is aggravating. We are in for a rude awakening when we get back to NY.

We got news that our car was ready for pick-up. We will be heading over this morning to Global Collisions. We plan to get back on the road and head to New Mexico today.

About 11:15 last night, I was startled from my deep sleep by the hotel emergency alarm system. No one could sleep through that noise. The alarm was accompanied with an announcement to exist the hotel immediately. My heart was pounding and Ajo & I rushed out to the exist with many others who were in panic as well. Going down those 6 floors to reach the bottom was perhaps an experience I will never forget. My mind was blank. We even had no idea what time it was. It was about 40 degrees outside and within minutes firefighters arrived. Apparently someone pulled alarm for no reason and the hotel evacuation alarm set off. We got back in our rooms by 11:50 or so. Out all the hotel rooms we had stayed, it was our first evacuation and I was able to gather that my crisis management skills was not the best.

Highlights from Day 8
  • Rocky Mountains
  • Maximum elevation we have been at changed to 12,183 ft (3,713 meters)
  • Hotel evacuation

No comments:

Post a Comment