Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sky is the Limit


Today, we went to the Reno Air Race held in Stead, NV which is about 8 miles north of Reno. I was not quite sure as to what to expect at this event and that is precisely the reason we felt the need to join others who are the so called “air race fans.”The name of the event precisely conveys what it is all about – Racing of aircrafts. What is interesting is that we hardly hear racing and aircraft put together. We are familiar with land and water racing but not air racing.

This year, the US Navy “Blue Angels” did an Air Show for an hour or so. It was simply breath-taking, adventurous, and entertaining. It was a good treat for us. My husband took some catchy snaps. I sat on the bleachers with many others while I gaped at the limitless sky as I watched the aerial acrobatics of six aircrafts. Applause and cheering by spectators dominated the general ambience of the crowd. Their “graceful maneuvers” gave me goose bumps more than merriment as I continued to pray for safety for all. I wondered if it is possible to not have a tinge of fear as aircrafts performs acrobatics over your head and at times even less than a mile away from you. Perhaps, a seasoned viewer has surpassed the stage fear and all I need is time.

I have to say that I enjoyed the event. I admire the pilots and their performances, and the hundreds who worked back stage for a safe air show this year. Today when 29 young citizens got recruited to the US Navy for training, their oath ended like this “………help us God.” Let us always have those three words linger in our words, in our hearts and in our lives today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment